Freeman’s partner was arrested overnight, Bush confirms
Mike Bush confirms Dezi Freeman’s partner was arrested overnight.
She was interviewed and released pending further inquiries. Bush said today:
People were interviewed totally and specifically in relation to the homicide investigation. Those searches have been completed. The interviews have been conducted. Those people have been released. There may or may not be charges that follow.
Key events Show key events only Please turn on JavaScript to use this feature
Bob Katter’s son defends ‘deeply personal’ outburst
The Queensland state politician Robbie Katter has defended his father for threatening to punch a journalist, saying the reporter “did not get the signals”.
Bob Katter has attracted criticism from across the political spectrum for his behaviour, but his son Robbie said there were personal reasons for his father getting upset. He told the ABC:
I know for a fact there are some deeply personal, deep personal dimension to that line of questioning that goes back to his family. I’ve known that since a kid. … There is a deeply personal dimension that I won’t share on national TV.
The younger Katter said it had been clear his father was growing agitated and suggested the reporter, Nine’s Josh Bavas, was being “provocative”:
There are personal touch points that [we] usually agree on that we don’t go there. Perhaps the journalist in question did not get the signals. … We should be able to stand up for ourselves and say at some point that is not acceptable.
At what point is that person responsible for their actions? They have to take some cues as well.
Pushing back at suggestions Bob Katter was too old for parliament, Robbie said some serving politicians were “too young” and had a “deficit of life experience”.
Severe thunderstorm warning for Porepunkah as 450 police officers hunt alleged cop killer
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued an emergency warning for severe thunderstorms in Victoria’s northeast, including the town of Porepunkah, where the manhunt for Dezi Freeman continues.
Damaging and destructive winds are expected to batter the north-east and east Gippsland, with the worst of the storms expected to hit Falls Creek and Mount Hotham, just south of the locked-down town.
Winds and storms will last for the next several hours across the state’s north-east, the bureau said, after previously warning snow showers could hit the region. The search for Freeman now involves 450 police officers, as temperatures begin to fall and the sun sets.
Lending rises at the fastest rate in three years
Private credit growth surged by nearly $20bn in July, or 0.7% in the previous month, the fastest pace of increase since 2022.
New Reserve Bank data shows lending has accelerated since the RBA cut interest rates a second time, with the annual pace of increase climbing to 7.2%, well above the last decade’s average.
UBS analysis indicated business lending saw the biggest increase, while personal credit picked up, and housing credit maintained its faster growth of recent months.
Private deposits have also increased 7.2% annually, including a 9.4% increase in household savings, while spending has picked up at the same time, which UBS analysts said was a sign of “solid” household income growth.
They warned that rising borrowing for house prices and personal spending could put upward pressure on inflation as construction resources become stretched and homeowners cash in on their rising wealth, writing in a note:
We see an increasing likelihood that the strength in asset prices, especially housing, and borrowing (also personal credit is picking up to fund consumption), will probably result in inflation facing upward pressure.
Natasha May
And that’s it from me, the wonderful Luca Ittimani is here to take you through the rest of the afternoon’s news!
Andrew Messenger
Pill testing clinic to reopen in Queensland
Queensland’s pill testing clinic is to reopen next month, thanks to private funding.
In April 2024, the former Labor government opened the first of two clinics at Bowen Hills. A second was later opened on the Gold Coast. A year later, the new LNP government closed both, against the advice of health bodies, including the Australian Medical Association. It has subsequently refused to release a report on the trial service.
Former operator The Loop Australia announced on Friday morning that it will reopen its doors from Friday, 5 September, and continue to operate every Friday from 2-6pm.
The Greens MP Michael Berkman said the return of pill testing was “a massive win for common sense and for our health professionals”.
You can’t stop people taking drugs just by saying no, by locking up kids or slapping them with huge fines.
In their first year, these clinics identified 120 lethal substances and kickstarted hundreds of conversations and referrals with health professionals.
Dan Jervis-Bardy
Opposition says Indigenous hearings could have examined why four Closing the Gap targets going backwards
Continuing on from that last post: in the Senate on Thursday, the opposition attempted to reinstate the separate hearings only for Labor and the Greens to vote it down.
The manager of opposition business in the senate, Jonno Duniam, accused Labor and the Greens of breaking a 17-year-old convention in order to avoid scrutiny.
Senate estimates hearings are a critical forum for senators to question the spending of taxpayer funds and hold the government to account. Yet, rather than opening themselves to that accountability, Labor and the Greens have conspired to shut them down.
The shadow minister for Indigenous Australians, Kerrynne Liddle, said the opposition would have used the hearings to examine why four of the Closing the Gap targets were going backwards.
In a statement, a government spokesperson said under the new format, Indigenous affairs would be examined on each day of hearings, rather than just one.
They said:
Closing the Gap is a whole of government responsibility. It’s the responsibility of every Secretary and Minister to improve outcomes for First Nations Australians.
The next round of estimates will be on 7-10 October.
Dan Jervis-Bardy
Labor accused of avoiding scrutiny on Indigenous affairs after stand-alone hearing axed
The opposition has accused the Albanese government of avoiding scrutiny of its Indigenous affairs agenda after axing a traditional stand-alone estimates hearing on the topic.
Hearings on Indigenous matters have typically been held in a stand-alone spot in each Senate estimates block, providing a window of clear air for opposition and crossbenchers to grill government ministers and senior public servants on issues such as Closing the Gap targets.
On the other days of an estimates week, the eight committees run hearings at the same time, generating a flood of evidence that can be difficult for even the most diligent politician, staffer (or journalist) to keep across.
But in a surprise move, Labor this week won support for a condensed schedule for October’s rounds of estimates, which involves folding Indigenous affairs into the other packed days of hearings.
A stand-alone hearing on the Murray Darling-Basin plan – which is also typically allocated its own window – has also been absorbed into the new schedule.
Nick Visser
That’s all from me, thanks for sticking with us. Natasha May will be your guide for the rest of today’s news. Take care, and have a good weekend.
Penny Wong condemns Russian strikes on Kyiv
The foreign affairs minister, Penny Wong, condemned Russian strikes on Kyiv yesterday after the Ukrainian city came under heavy attack. At least 21 people were killed, and the strikes damaged the city’s British Council and EU offices. Four children were among the dead.
Wong said in a statement:
Russia’s strikes on homes, civilian infrastructure and diplomatic premises are reprehensible. The people of Ukraine have the right to live in peace, free from fear and aggression.
Australia again calls on Russia to end its illegal and immoral war.

The Sydney marathon is this weekend: what time does it start, which roads will be closed, and what is the route?
A record 35,000 runners and upwards of 300,000 spectators are to converge on a new 42.195km marathon course that shows off Sydney on Sunday.

It’s the first time the city will be part of the exclusive club of “major” world marathons, alongside Tokyo, Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago and New York – and runners are in for a treat.
Here’s a list of need-to-know info and best practices for Sunday, whether you’re running yourself or cheering someone on:
Manhunt remains ‘number one priority’ as Victoria police plan to deploy ‘large resource’ at weekend’s anti-immigration protest, Bush says
Bush says the police’s “number one priority” is the hunt for Freeman, but that this weekend’s planned anti-immigration “March for Australia” protests will also add to the demand on the force.
Bush said:
I would like to say, here and now, that the number one priority for the Victoria police is the hunt for this [alleged] murderer. And we’re pouring in over 450 resources to that. And every other resource we have.
We’re also conscious that the Victoria police have many other demands. And that includes the protest activity this weekend. Our mission there will be to deploy a large resource … to ensure that those people that are out protesting peacefully are kept safe. So that, too, is a priority. And we will resource it. And we will resource the other demands. But I want to go back to my original point: the number one priority for the Victoria police is to find the person who [allegedly] murdered our officers.
Freeman’s partner was arrested overnight, Bush confirms
Mike Bush confirms Dezi Freeman’s partner was arrested overnight.
She was interviewed and released pending further inquiries. Bush said today:
People were interviewed totally and specifically in relation to the homicide investigation. Those searches have been completed. The interviews have been conducted. Those people have been released. There may or may not be charges that follow.
Police chief says locals in Porepunkah have been ‘fantastic’ during search for Freeman
Mike Bush said police had received “helpful” lines of inquiry as they continue the manhunt for Freeman. He said:
The locals have been fantastic. There are certain lines of inquiry that are coming in from the public that are being assessed. They’re all helpful.
So we encourage members of the public to tell us everything they think they need to tell us …
Police chief again appeals to suspect to turn himself in
Mike Bush took a moment to address Freeman directly should he be listening to the press conference this afternoon:
In fact, if that person is listening, it really is time to lay down your firearms and give yourself up. So that we can all bring this to a safe conclusion.
More than 450 police officers involved in hunt for Dezi Freeman
The chief commissioner of Victoria police, Mike Bush, said more than 450 police officers are involved in search for Dezi Freeman. Bush said the ongoing manhunt was part of a “very professional and coordinated operation”.
Bush said during a press conference:
We have over 450 police officers dedicated to this task. Some are involved in search, some are involved in investigations, some are involved in supporting and many are involved in community reassurance.

Eva Corlett
New Zealand’s house prices are finally falling. Could this happen elsewhere?
Three years ago, New Zealanders would have it found it almost impossible to imagine the country’s sky-high house prices falling.
The market was deemed one of the least affordable in the world, with house prices nearly nine times the average income and supply dismally low. Desperate first home buyers were being squeezed out of the market by cashed-up investors.

Some of those in low paid or no work were thrust into homelessness and waitlists for social housing ballooned. In mid-2021 the crisis reached fever pitch, with the national average house price exceeding NZ$1m.
But now, those prices are trending downwards.
Read more:
Nine demands Bob Katter apologise for ‘aggressive behaviour’ towards reporter and ‘unacceptable’ threats
Amanda Meade
Nine Entertainment is considering legal action against Bob Katter after the independent MP called Nine’s Queensland reporter Josh Bavas a racist and threatened to punch him at a press conference.
The Brisbane outburst came after Katter expressed support for anti-immigration “March for Australia” protests planned for the weekend. Bavas asked: “You’ve got Lebanese heritage yourself … ”, before Katter cut him off.
The member for Kennedy walked up to the Channel Nine reporter and shook his fist at him.
“Don’t say that, because you’re a racist. You’re a racist. You cannot say what you just said without being identified as a racist … this man is a racist,” Katter said. The exchange was filmed.
Nine executives were discussing taking defamation action against Katter, sources said. The company has demanded an apology from Katter.
Read more here:
Cait Kelly
Roadblock back up near Dezi Freeman’s old home in Porepunkah
As Porepunkah braces for wild weather, the roadblock near the property where alleged gunman Dezi Freeman was living has been set up again.
This is the third afternoon in a row that police have blocked off this part of the area.

There is low cloud cover, and the helicopter, which usually flies overhead, is not around. It is unclear if they are currently searching in the area.