The Baloch Liberation Army has released a video featuring its women's brigade led by commander Shaynaz Baloch, signalling a shift in the group's public messaging amid deepening unrest and its claim that an ASF officer was detained in Kalat.

In her address, commander Shaynaz Baloch said Baloch women were no longer confined to their homes and were now actively participating in the movement.
The media wing of the Baloch Liberation Army has, for the first time, released a video featuring the outfit’s women’s brigade, led by a commander identified as Shaynaz Baloch. In the message, she appealed to the people of Balochistan to support the separatist movement, claiming that the “freedom struggle” had entered a new phase.
Projected by the outfits as its first woman commander or “freedom fighter”, Shaynaz Baloch addressed both the media and the people of Balochistan in the 11-minute-long video released by the outfit’s propaganda wing, “Hakkal”.
In her address, she said Baloch women were no longer confined to their homes and were now actively participating in the movement.
The emergence of a female commander marks a notable shift in the BLA’s public messaging, which has historically centred around male fighters and commanders. It is believed that the move could indicate an effort by the group to recast its image and expand support among sections of Baloch society.
The video’s release comes amid continued unrest in Balochistan, where separatist violence and counterinsurgency operations have intensified in recent years.
Earlier on Friday, the BLA claimed it had taken into custody a senior officer of Pakistan’s Airport Security Force (ASF), identifying him as Deputy Director and Commanding Officer Waseem Ahmed. The claim surfaced after reports emerged that the officer had gone missing in Balochistan’s Kalat district while on an official journey.
In a statement issued on May 22, BLA spokesperson Jeeyand Baloch said the officer was intercepted on the main highway in Kalat after being identified by the outfit’s fighters. The group claimed the operation was carried out using “confidential intelligence” gathered by its intelligence wing, ZIRAB.
According to the statement, Waseem Ahmed, who serves in the ASF under Pakistan’s Ministry of Defence, was detained during what the outfit described as a targeted operation based on prior intelligence regarding his movement.
Regional sources said the incident occurred during a snap-checking operation allegedly conducted by armed men in the area. Ahmed was reportedly travelling on official duty at the time.
The BLA said further details regarding the capture would be released later. However, Pakistani authorities and security agencies have not yet issued any official statement confirming or denying the claim.
The reported detention comes just days after Pakistani authorities announced a major counterinsurgency operation in Balochistan.
On May 18, provincial government spokesperson Shahid Rind said security forces had killed 35 members of Balochistan-based armed groups and arrested at least three senior commanders during a four-day intelligence-based operation launched on May 13 in the Mangla Zarghoon Gar area near Quetta.
The operation was launched following a fresh wave of violence across the province, including rocket attacks in Quetta, assaults on transport routes and the destruction of a bridge in Mastung district.
- Ends
Published By:
Shipra Parashar
Published On:
May 23, 2026 16:52 IST

58 minutes ago

