Differences abound, US-Iran eye fresh talks amid fears of military confrontation

2 hours ago

Washington is pressing for strict limits on Iran's uranium enrichment activities and the dismantling of its stockpile of highly enriched uranium (HEU), while Tehran insists any agreement must include recognition of its right to peaceful nuclear enrichment and a clear, phased removal of sanctions.

Donald Trump and Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

US President Donald Trump issued an ultimatum to Iran during the first meeting of his Borad of Peace. (Photo: Reuters)

India Today World Desk

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2026 18:13 IST

Iran and the United States remain at odds over the scope and mechanism of sanctions relief in ongoing negotiations to curb Tehran’s nuclear programme, a senior Iranian official told news agency Reuters as both sides prepare for a fresh round of talks in early March.

The renewed diplomatic push comes amid soaring tensions in the Middle East. US President Donald Trump increased military presence in the region and repeatedly warned about potential escalation if talks fail. Iran also vowed to retaliate if attacked by the US.

"The last round of talks showed that US ideas regarding the scope and mechanism of sanctions relief differ from Iran’s demands. Both sides need to reach a logical timetable for lifting sanctions," the Iranian official told Reuters.

DEADLOCK OVER SANCTIONS PERSISTS

Sanctions relief has emerged as one of the main sticking points in the negotiations, which resumed earlier this month after years of stalled diplomacy over Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

Washington is pressing for strict limits on Iran’s uranium enrichment activities and the dismantling of its stockpile of highly enriched uranium (HEU), while Tehran insists any agreement must include recognition of its right to peaceful nuclear enrichment and a clear, phased removal of sanctions.

Iran has rejected US demand for "zero enrichment", but officials have indicated some willingness to compromise on nuclear activities if sanctions are eased in a predictable and verifiable manner.

The Iranian official said Tehran could consider exporting part of its HEU stockpile, reducing the purity level of its most enriched uranium and participating in a regional enrichment consortium. These steps, he said, would be contingent on formal recognition of Iran’s right to "peaceful nuclear enrichment".

TEHRAN SAYS IT WILL NOT BOW TO PRESSURE

On Saturday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tehran would not yield to US pressure.

Speaking at a ceremony honouring Iran’s Paralympic athletes, he said attempts to force concessions through threats or intimidation would fail and that Iran would remain firm despite economic and political strain.

Indirect negotiations resumed in Oman earlier this month and continued in Geneva on February 17. Both sides described the discussions as constructive but admitted major gaps remain over enrichment limits, monitoring mechanisms and sanctions sequencing.

- Ends

With inputs from Reuters

Published By:

Satyam Singh

Published On:

Feb 22, 2026

Tune In

Read Full Article at Source