Last Updated:February 22, 2026, 18:06 IST
Iran currently holds uranium enriched to 60%, near weapons grade, but is offering to down-blend it to 20% or below.

An Iranian woman walks past a mural of an Iranian flag in Tehran on February 22, 2026. (AFP Photo)
Iran has refused to export its 300kg stockpile of highly enriched uranium but says it will lower its purity under the supervision of the Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
Iranian sources said that the proposal is expected to form the core of Iran’s offer to the US in the coming days, as US President Donald Trump weighs whether to take military action amid his naval buildup in the Middle East, The Guardian reported.
The announcement comes as protests broke out on Saturday at Mashhad University of Medical Sciences and at least two universities in Tehran, leading to new clashes in the streets. The universities had been reopening after being closed amid fears of demonstrations.
At Sharif University, students chanted slogans including “Javed Shah" and “Death to the dictator." The university president urged students to stop, warning that authorities would enforce classes if protests continued.
ALSO READ: Khamenei Planning For Assassination Scenario? Iranian Leader Appoints Longtime Loyalist As Successor
The gatherings follow a mass protest movement last month that was met with a heavy government crackdown, leaving thousands dead, according to media reports.
Iran currently holds uranium enriched to 60%, near weapons grade, but is offering to down-blend it to 20% or below. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said there had been no US demand to end domestic enrichment. The main focus is on the purity of the uranium and the number of centrifuges Iran would be allowed to operate.
Reports that the stockpile could be sent to Russia or linked to an overseas consortium have been denied by Iranian sources. An Iranian diplomat told state-linked media, “We emphasised this position during the negotiations that nuclear materials will not leave the country."
The level of access given to the IAEA will be a major factor in whether Trump feels the need to pursue military options.
Araghchi also denied that Iran had proposed suspending enrichment for two to three years, contradicting the US ambassador to the UN, Mike Waltz, who said the US seeks “zero enrichment" by Iran.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
First Published:
February 22, 2026, 18:06 IST
News world Iran Refuses To Export Enriched Uranium Stockpile, Offers To Dilute It Instead: Report
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

2 hours ago
