'Just A Bed And Toilet': No Special Treatment For Ex-Prince Andrew Behind Bars

2 hours ago

Last Updated:February 19, 2026, 21:23 IST

Andrew was stripped of his royal titles and honours due to his connections with Epstein and his royal status made no legal impact in the case.

 Reuters/File)

Former Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor (Image: Reuters/File)

Britain’s former prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, who was arrested for misconduct in public office in connection with allegedly sharing government documents with late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, has been in custody for nearly eight hours without any kind of special treatment, despite his previously royal status.

Andrew was arrested at 8:00 am (local time) at the Sandringham Estate, where he was staying after leaving the Royal Lodge near Windsor Castle. Shortly after, Thames Valley Police released a statement confirming that a man in his sixties had been arrested and was in custody, and they were carrying out searches at addresses in Norfolk and Berkshire, without naming him.

Police can initially hold someone for 24 hours, and they must be taken to a special custody suite if held for more than six hours, BBC reported, citing legal experts. Police need to apply before a superintendent and a magistrate for longer detention.

Danny Shaw, a policing commentator, told BBC that the absolute longest the former prince can be held for is 96 hours – but this would require multiple extensions from senior police officers and a Magistrate’s Court. In most cases suspects are held for 12 or 24 hours and are then either charged or released pending further investigation, he said.

ALSO READ: Former UK Royal Prince Andrew Arrested: Inside His Long List Of Controversies

Despite being a member of the Royal family, Shaw said there will be no “special treatment" for Andrew, and he will be placed in “a cell in a custody suite" with just “a bed and a toilet", where he will wait until his police interview. It is currently unknown where Andrew is being held. Notably, Andrew was stripped of his royal titles and honours due to his connections with Epstein.

Andrew’s links with Epstein grabbed the spotlight after Virginia Giuffre, one of Epstein’s victims who died by suicide last April, alleged that the former prince had sex with her when she was 17 after she was trafficked by Epstein. An email seemingly sent by Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s partner, included a photo of Andrew with his arm around Giuffre.

ALSO READ: Former Prince Andrew Arrested: Which UK Royal Figures Have Faced Legal Action Before?

However, Andrew’s arrest is not related to Giuffre. According to reports, the former prince is believed to have shared confidential information with Jeffrey Epstein from his official work as trade envoy in 2010 and 2011, as per the material in the latest release of files by the US Justice Department.

While the arrest was not an indication of guilt, it marked a stunning fall from grace for Andrew, who became the first member of the royal family to be arrested for misconduct in public office.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

Location :

London, United Kingdom (UK)

First Published:

February 19, 2026, 21:23 IST

News world 'Just A Bed And Toilet': No Special Treatment For Ex-Prince Andrew Behind Bars

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Full Article at Source