NSW police commissioner says ‘I unreservedly apologise’ for miscommunication over 18-year-old bushwalker Lily Hooper’s death – as it happened

1 hour ago

Key events

What we learned today, Thursday 20 August

Another jam-packed news day!

Before we shut this blog, let’s recap what the top headlines were:

The foreign affairs minister, Penny Wong, said the government was “outraged” over the decision by the Israel Defense Forces not to pursue a criminal investigation into the strike on an aid convoy in 2024 that killed seven people, including Australian Zomi Frankcom.

After a meeting with Wong, Israel’s ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, backed the IDF’s decision and refused to apologise over Frankcom’s death.

The body of 18-year-old Lily Hooper who went missing last week has been found. It came after a major miscommunication that the NSW police has apologised for.

The eSafety commissioner, Julie Inman Grant, did the media rounds this morning, after putting Roblox, which has been accused of hosting grooming and sexual exploitation on its platform, on notice to improve its safety measures or face court.

The government’s gambling reforms passed the Senate late last night after hours of debate, bringing in new restrictions to limit gambling advertising and a one-stop “opt-out register”.

The Victorian premier, Ben Carroll, formally called for a royal commission into alleged corruption in the construction sector.

Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander social justice commissioner, Katie Kiss, has told the royal commission into antisemitism and social cohesion that Australia will not be able to address racism towards any other community that has settled in this country until it deals with its racism towards First Peoples.

The South Australian premier, Peter Malinauskas, has declared a “significant escalation” in H5 bird flu in the state after the detection of three mass mortality events involving more than 1,000 greater crested terns.

Separately, the Tasmanian government said it was investigating 28 little penguin deaths on King Island with testing under way to determine whether the birds died of H5 bird flu.

For those who missed it, here’s a tl;dr on what happened in question time.

Thanks for sticking around, we’ll be back tomorrow morning.

Josh Taylor

Josh Taylor

More than 60 Victorian day cares shuttered over child safety risks

Sixty-five family day care residences have been ordered to close across Victoria for 90 days after the state regulator suspended childcare company Ignite Minds and four educators over alleged serious breaches of national regulations it says created risks to the safety of children.

The Victorian Early Childhood Regulatory Authority (Vecra) and the federal education department inspected 30 residences operated by Ignite Minds, code-named Operation Flint, to assess compliance.

Vecra said its officers “directly observed evidence of harms and hazards” that posed “serious risks” to child safety.

The company has been ordered to immediately close all 65 family day care residences for 90 days while the alleged breaches are addressed.

Ignite Minds has been directed to notify parents and carers of the suspension.

In a statement on Thursday, Ignite Minds said it treats the safety and wellbeing of children “with the utmost seriousness” and acknowledged there had been some compliance deficiencies at some of the 30 locations inspected.

However, the company said immediate action was taken where concerns were raised and Ignite Minds “strongly dispute[s] the necessity of the immediate, blanket suspension”. The company said:

double quotation markWe believe this disproportionate action disrupts care across our network and does not serve the interests of the children or the families who form this wonderful community.

We are actively working through our options to address these allegations and are cooperating with the regulator.

We are particularly concerned that this suspension was issued while Ignite Minds was already in the process of submitting evidence of rectification and compliance.

Ignite Minds operates across metropolitan Melbourne, as well as in Bendigo, Shepparton and Elphinstone.

Family day care residences are run by educators in their own home for education of children typically up to 12 years old.

Four individual educators have also been suspended, as Vecra said they pose a risk to children’s safety.

Other alleged breaches included children leaving a property unsupervised, and a child falling from a high chair. Vecra also said there were unsafe environments, with dangers and hazards including poisons and chemicals, beehives, and inadequate fencing.

The company also did not provide adequate care for children with medical conditions, Vecra claimed, including maintaining health plans, and the provision of medication on-site.

The Victorian early childhood regulator, Wendy Steendam, said she was aware suspending the provider would affect childcare arrangements, but the decision was made “because we know they [families] wouldn’t want us to compromise on safety”. She said in a statement:

double quotation markFamily day care providers are on notice. You must ensure your educators and their residences are compliant, and you must provide appropriate governance and leadership to your staff. If you don’t, we will act.

Ignite Minds said standard regulatory practice was to collaborate with providers to “resolve issues before resorting to public allegations”.

Ignite Minds said:

double quotation markWe recognise that this news may be distressing, and we are truly sorry for the uncertainty it causes our families.

An emergency action notice was issued after a five-month-old child was observed sleeping in a cot with what Vecra described as items that “posed an immediate risk to their safety and wellbeing”.

Council hopes IDF investigation decision brings closure after ‘devastating tragedy’

The Australia/Israel & Jewish Affairs Council (AIJAC) said it hoped the IDF’s decision to close its investigation into the killings of aid workers would bring “closure” to “a devastating tragedy”.

In a statement, the executive director, Dr Colin Rubenstein, said:

double quotation markThe death of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and her six World Central Kitchen colleagues in Gaza was profoundly tragic.

Regrettably, errors are an inevitable part of warfare, particularly given the complexity of urban warfare against a terror group such as Hamas. The WCK incident was a particularly tragic example. Yet what matters is how militaries in a democracy respond.

We hope the Israeli investigation’s final findings – which, as noted, are fully consistent with Australia’s own investigations – can bring some closure following that terrible error.

Continuing on the police commissioner’s press conference, Mal Lanyon says an investigation into the incident and broader communication procedures has been launched:

double quotation markWe’ll look at the relationship between police and the SES and we’ll work with other agencies to make sure communication failures don’t occur.

Communication is always a challenge, and in remote areas from time to time it can be challenging to get the right communication through. We want to make sure it’s as simple as possible.

Read the full story here:

NSW police apologise for miscommunication over Lily Hooper’s death

The NSW police commissioner, Mal Lanyon, has apologised for a miscommunication that led to inaccurate initial reports that missing 18-year-old bushwalker Lily Hooper had been found alive.

Within 10 minutes, the search crew relayed a “more accurate account” to police, confirming that Hooper had died.

Speaking to reporters, Lanyon says:

double quotation markI unreservedly apologise for any additional trauma that may have caused Lily’s family, and certainly for the embarrassment and confusion it caused.

The miscommunication was obviously born out of elation that Lily had been found. Her condition at that time was understood to be such that searchers were relieved, and those at the command post were elated.

Tragically, that miscommunication then led to a deflation, and we now know it had an impact on her family. Once again, I unreservedly apologise for that miscommunication.

Outrage ‘hasn’t materialised into action’: Faruqi calls for consequences against Israel

The Greens deputy leader, Mehreen Faruqi, has accused the government of failing to take meaningful action over Israel’s decision not to pursue a criminal investigation into the 2024 strike that killed Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six other humanitarian workers.

Speaking on ABC’s Afternoon Briefing, Faruqi said:

double quotation markIsrael today has abrogated all responsibility and accountability for their murder. Of course, the prime minister, the foreign minister and everyone else should be outraged. But they were outraged more than two years ago when these murders took place. It’s been years since then, and that outrage, again and again, hasn’t materialised into any action or accountability.

She called on the government to impose stronger consequences against Israel, saying:

double quotation markWe could have had an independent investigation. We could have referred this murder to the ICC, which is what the World Central Kitchen was asking for at the time.

We could have sanctioned Israel. We could have expelled the Israeli ambassador. There should have been some consequences for the murder of an Australian citizen and an incredible aid worker who was committed to humanity and working in the most difficult conditions. None of those actions were taken.

For a lot of people in this country, outrage is merely words that mean nothing.

Greens deputy leader Mehreen Faruqi
Photograph: Mick Tsikas/AAP

Krishani Dhanji

Krishani Dhanji

Thank you all so much for following along on the blog with me this sitting fortnight!

I’ll leave you with the fabulous Achol Arok. Take care.

Josh Butler

Josh Butler

News bargaining incentive backed by News Corp

News Corp has welcomed the passage of the news bargaining incentive, calling it “much-needed investment” for the journalism sector.

As Krishani brought you earlier, the NBI – which obligates big tech companies to make commercial deals with at least six media outlets, to support journalism – passed parliament earlier, among a rush of legislation pushed through both houses this week.

“Australian news organisations now get the much-needed investment to continue delivering professional journalism vital to our democracy and local communities,” said Michael Miller, the executive chair of News Corp Australia.

double quotation markThis again shows the Australian Government’s willingness to be a world leader in developing policies that benefit everyday Australians and the public interest.

Meta, TikTok and Google will have to sign deals with media outlets under the new rules, or pay a higher levy which would be distributed by the government.

Tl;dr here’s what happened in question time

Matt Keogh again copped multiple questions on a controversial cap on allied health services for veterans (which Jacqui Lambie blasted the government for in the Senate yesterday).

The Coalition again called for Keogh to be sacked, quoting one veteran who said they would prefer to “deal with the Taliban” over the veterans’ affairs minister.

Jim Chalmers also faced a few questions over the budget hitting $1tn of gross debt, which the treasurer tried to throw back at the opposition, saying much of it was accrued under them.

Albanese said the government would “not stop pressing Israel for justice” when asked by the independent MP Sophie Scamps what more the government would do, and whether Labor would expel the Israeli ambassador.

Zali Steggall asked the government what more it was doing to combat violence against women and children. Anthony Albanese said he would raise the issue at national cabinet next week.

And there were three MPs yeeted today – Labor MPs Matt Burnell and Julian Hill and the Liberal frontbencher Tony Pasin.

After a final dixer to Clare O’Neil, Anthony Albanese calls time on QT.

Someone from the opposition bench says “a bit early!” to which Albanese replies, “really?!”

That’s the last question time of the sitting fortnight.

Dan Tehan has a bit of a crack at the PM:

double quotation markIt’s been the normal practice at question time that there’s 20 questions usually asked. Yet what’s happened because we’ve got someone under witness protection …

He gets cut off. And then everyone moves on.

Albanese calls Zomi Frankcom decision 'an outrage'

Will the government expel the Israeli ambassador and what will the government do to ensure justice is served, asks the independent MP Sophie Scamps.

Anthony Albanese says he and the foreign minister, Penny Wong, have consistently called for accountability and transparency from the Israeli government over the killing of Gaza aid workers including Zomi Frankcom.

He also calls the decision not to pursue criminal proceedings an “outrage”.

double quotation markIsrael’s decision to close their investigation without criminal proceedings is an outrage and it falls far short of the accountability that we expect and consistently called for on behalf of Australia. Since the tragic killings, the government has consistently made clear our expectation for transparency, and we’ve pressed for full accountability.

The foreign minister has called in Israel’s ambassador to Australia to strongly register our views, and Australia’s ambassador to Israel has done the same. The Australian government will not stop pressing Israel for justice for Ms Frankcom and her colleagues.

He doesn’t say whether the government will expel the ambassador, but earlier during her press conference, Wong said removing an ambassador “would remove our ability to be able to engage, press for Australia’s interests”.

‘I prefer to deal with the Taliban’: Coalition piles pressure on Keogh

Phil Thompson next asks the prime minister “how much more evidence is needed before you sack this incompetent minister”, and says one veteran told him “I prefer to deal with the Taliban” than Matt Keogh.

The assistant minister Julian Hill is booted by Milton Dick at the end of the question – on his way out he drops his folder.

Anthony Albanese calls that an “unfortunate quote” and defends his minister.

double quotation markWe have responded constructively to the recommendations of the Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide. That is why we engaged constructively. I met some of the veterans who were here earlier this week, just in the corridor, introduced myself to them. I’ve said I’m happy to meet with them.

Phil Thompson in question time
Phil Thompson in question time. Photograph: Lukas Coch/AAP

Albanese says he will raise combating family and domestic violence at national cabinet next week

Back to QT, independent MP Zali Steggall asks what else the government is going to do to help keep women and children and safe after the recent deaths of women allegedly at the hands of a partner, and multiple high profile sexual assault allegations.

Anthony Albanese says there must be zero tolerance of sexual violence in Australia.

He says next week he will convene national cabinet next week and has put domestic violence on the agenda.

double quotation markState governments have primary responsibility in areas such as community services ministers, and in those services of the 500 additional workers that we have funded as part of a commitment I took to the 2022 election, that are making a difference on the ground. But that took longer than we would like, frankly, for it to be rolled out. We are seeing, tragically as well, I want to hold governments to account that sometimes when the commonwealth provides additional money, that’s seen as an excuse to withdraw funding … I will raise that very directly with the premiers.

Anthony Albanese during question time in the House of Representatives
Anthony Albanese during question time in the House of Representatives. Photograph: Mick Tsikas/AAP

More than 1,000 crested terns found dead with suspected H5 bird flu in three mass mortality events in South Australia

Lisa Cox

Lisa Cox

Breaking out of question time for a moment:

The South Australian premier, Peter Malinauskas, has declared a “significant escalation” in H5 bird flu in the state after the detection of three mass mortality events involving more than 1,000 crested terns.

State authorities are also investigating a suspected case in a little penguin found on Kangaroo Island, with Malinauskas telling the parliament the development was “of particular concern”.

Malinauskas said aerial surveillance on Wednesday detected the three mass mortality events, all on remote islands. He said more than 1,000 dead crested terns were found across Troubridge Island off the Yorke Peninsula and the Pages Islands (known as North Page and South Page) off Kangaroo Island.

He said the cause of the deaths was presumed to be H5 bird flu.

Malinauskas said:

double quotation markThe loss of more than 1,000 birds is deeply concerning, and the state government is treating these events with the utmost seriousness.

Liberal MP accuses Keogh of ‘gaslighting’ women veterans

Liberal MP Melissa Price has kept the spotlight on Matt Keogh, asking why he has delayed the release of a women’s veteran strategy, and accuses him of “gaslighting” women veterans.

Keogh says that his department has been working on a women’s strategy and has been consulting with veterans and serving personnel, but it’s “been complex work”.

double quotation markOne of the issues that has come up over the time that I have been in the portfolio has been the very real concern expressed by many women veterans about making sure that a system that understandably has been designed primarily over the last century to support male members in the Defence Force.

He hasn’t provide a timeline as to when the work will be delivered.

Dan Tehan stands up to make a point of order, but as he approaches the despatch box, Keogh walks away, indicating he’s finished his answer.

Minister says allied health cap for veterans responds to royal commission recommendations

Michael McCormack is back at the despatch box, and says not one of the 122 recommendations made by the royal commission into defence and veterans’ suicides called for a cap on allied health services.

Matt Keogh says the changes to allied health service access does respond to the recommendations of the royal commission, by increasing the fees for allied health professionals:

double quotation markOne of the things that this measure delivers on is increasing the fees that are going to be paid to allied health service professionals across Australia, recognising the real need that has been spoken about for so long by those providers and by the veteran community. And that was something that was highlighted in recommendation 71.

Read Full Article at Source