Last Updated:February 22, 2026, 20:46 IST
EU lawmaker Bernd Lange proposed to postpone a vote on the EU-US trade deal after Donald Trump's tariffs were deemed illegal by the US Supreme Court.

The US and European Union struck a trade deal last year that capped tariffs on most EU products at 15%. (Reuters/File)
A senior EU lawmaker has proposed to postpone a vote on the EU-US trade deal that had been planned for this week, arguing that the terms and legal basis on which the deal was struck had changed after the US Supreme Court struck down the sweeping tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
The US Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that Trump overstepped his authority by using the Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) of 1977 to impose taxes. A defiant Trump announced a 10% global tariff under Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, which he later hiked to 15%.
“Pure tariff chaos from the US administration. No one can make sense of it anymore — only open questions and growing uncertainty for the EU and other US trading partners," Bernd Lange, Chair of the Committee on Trade in the European Parliament, said on X.
“Terms of Turnberry Agreement and legal basis on which it was built have changed. Do new tariffs based on Section 122 not constitute a breach of the deal? Regardless, no one knows whether the US will adhere to it – or even be able to," he added.
Pure tariff chaos from the US administration. No one can make sense of it anymore — only open questions and growing uncertainty for the EU and other US trading partners (1/3)— Bernd Lange (@berndlange) February 22, 2026
Lange said clarity and legal certainty were needed before any further steps are taken in the wake of recent changes. “At our extra meeting tomorrow, I will therefore propose to the EP-negotiating team putting legislative work on hold until we have a proper legal assessment and clear commitments from the US side," he said.
EU Expects US To Honour Trade Deal
Meanwhile, the European Commission on Sunday called on the United States to abide by the terms of the trade deal struck last year with the EU after Trump announced new global tariff rates.
“A deal is a deal. As the United States’ largest trading partner, the EU expects the US to honour its commitments set out in the Joint Statement — just as the EU stands by its commitments," said a commission statement.
Last year, the US and European Union unveiled fresh details of their trade framework, clarifying tariff levels and commitments on sensitive sectors including pharmaceuticals, semiconductors and autos, setting a blanket tariff of 15% on EU exports to America.
Under the deal, the EU also pledged to purchase $750 billion worth of US energy and to invest at least $600 billion in the American economy. Donald Trump hailed the agreement as the “biggest trade deal ever made," highlighting auto provisions as a major victory.
In addition to tariff adjustments, the EU reiterated its pledge to eliminate duties on US industrial goods and provide preferential access for American seafood and agricultural exports. The bloc also intends to “substantially" increase procurement of US military and defence equipment.
Those tariffs were largely implemented under the Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), which was invalidated as a result of the Supreme Court’s ruling. Unlike Trump’s previous strategy, the new 15% tariffs are strictly temporary, lasting for only 150 days unless the US Congress votes to extend it.
(with inputs from agencies)
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
United States of America (USA)
First Published:
February 22, 2026, 20:46 IST
News world US-EU Trade Deal In Jeopardy: Lawmaker Proposes Delay To Key Vote Amid Tariff Upheaval
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

2 hours ago
