US-Iran Tensions: Trump Flags Critical 10-Day Window; UK Blocks Use Of Its Bases For Strikes

2 hours ago

Last Updated:February 19, 2026, 21:00 IST

Trump summoned his top advisers to discuss the ongoing crisis with Iran as reports suggest that the US administration is close to launching a weeks-long campaign against Tehran.

 AP)

US President Donald Trump (Photo: AP)

US President Donald Trump gave a 10-day deadline to Iran to make a deal on its nuclear programme after convening a key meeting with his top advisers on the ongoing crisis. This came after a top US ally warned that the President is set to strike Tehran “within hours" amid escalating nuclear tensions. FOLLOW LIVE UPDATES

Trump summoned his top advisers on Wednesday to discuss the ongoing nuclear crisis with Iran, two US officials familiar with the matter told Axios. Trump was briefed on the nuclear talks held earlier this week in Geneva and the group discussed next steps.

This came after sources told Axios that the Trump administration is the closest it has been to launching a major war against Iran. A US military operation in Iran would likely be a massive, weeks-long campaign that would look more like full-fledged war than last month’s pinpoint operation in Venezuela, they said.

The Daily Mail reported that Trump was rushed into the meeting amid escalating tensions with Tehran. However, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said it was a pre-scheduled meeting to receive an update from Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner on the Iran talks and not a rushed crisis meeting.

US Secretary Marco Rubio and other senior officials also attended the meeting. One US official told Axios that he Iranians need to come back to the Trump administration by the end of the month with a package of steps that addresses the concerns the US presented in Geneva regarding their nuclear programme.

ALSO READ: US Says ‘Wise’ For Iran To Strike Deal With Trump As Israel Puts Civil Defence Forces On Alert

Trump Gives 10-Day Notice To Iran

After the talks, Trump on Thursday announced that the world will know in “next 10 days" whether a US-Iran deal was possible. “Maybe we are going to make a deal. You are going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days," he said.

This came after a report by The Telegraph said Trump was told that the United States would be ready to begin a war with Iran by Saturday. This follows the buildup of American aircraft and ships near Iranian territory.

At least 50 extra fighter jets, as well as air-to-air refuelling tankers and other aircraft, were deployed to the Middle East this week. A second aircraft carrier strike group, USS Gerald R. Ford, is also expected to reach the eastern Mediterranean within days.

The combined military firepower is expected to allow the US to bombard Iran nonstop if Trump gives the order, although the latter is not believed to have decided on striking the Islamic Republic. Trump is reportedly considering wiping out the entire military and political leadership of Iran with continuous aerial attacks to avoid US casualties, according to the Daily Mail.

Netanyahu’s Stern Warning For Iran

Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned on Thursday that Israel would retaliate forcefully against Iran if it launched an attack. “If the ayatollahs make a mistake and attack us, they will receive a response they cannot even imagine," Netanyahu said in a televised address during a military ceremony.

The comments came after Netanyahu instructed the country’s Home Front Command and rescue agencies to prepare for a possible war with Iran, Israeli media reported. According to Yedioth Ahronot, a state of maximum alert has been declared across several Israeli security agencies, while a key security cabinet meeting on Iran has been rescheduled for later this week, public broadcaster KAN said.

Polish PM Warns Of ‘Strikes Within Hours’

In recent weeks, Trump has ordered the largest military build-up of infantry, naval and aerial firepower on Iran’s border since the 2003 invasion of Iraq, escalating fears of a war between the two countries that could last for several weeks.

Several reports suggested that Israel would support the US in a joint military effort. Trump has demanded Iran make major concessions regarding the country’s nuclear and ballistic missiles programmes, although Tehran has strongly resisted these demands.

Meanwhile, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk on Thursday said all citizens should evacuate Iran as it may no longer be an option in a matter of hours. “In a few hours there may be no more possibility to evacuate Poles from Iran," he said.

“Please leave Iran immediately… and do not go to this country under any circumstances," Tusk said.

UK Blocks Trump From Using RAF Bases

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom has blocked Donald Trump and US forces from using British bases to strike Iran, according to a report by The Times. The White House is drawing up detailed military plans for a strike against Iran involving the use of both Diego Garcia and RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire, which is home to America’s fleet of heavy bombers in Europe.

However, the UK has yet to give permission for the US to use the bases if Trump orders a strike on Iran. This reluctance stems from concerns that it would be a breach of international law, which makes no distinction between a state carrying out the attack and those in support if the latter have “knowledge of the circumstances of the internationally wrongful act".

Explosions Reported In Tehran

Meanwhile, a fire broke out in Tehran on Wednesday, and thick black smoke was seen rising over Parand, prompting speculation after reports of a possible explosion circulated on social media. Locals said the smoke was visible for more than two hours, triggering panic amid heightened regional tensions.

However, Iranian authorities rejected claims of any security-related incident. Iran’s state-run media, citing officials from the Parand fire department, said the smoke was caused by a fire in reeds along the Parand riverbank. Firefighters were deployed to the site and extinguishing operations were underway, according to Iran .

Iran’s leadership appears to be bracing for the possibility of conflict despite diplomatic efforts to avert a full-fledged war. According to The Wall Street Journal, Iran has been deploying forces, dispersing decision-making authority and fortifying nuclear facilities, reflecting fears that the survival of the regime could be at stake.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

Location :

United States of America (USA)

First Published:

February 19, 2026, 19:48 IST

News world US-Iran Tensions: Trump Flags Critical 10-Day Window; UK Blocks Use Of Its Bases For Strikes

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Full Article at Source