US Military Aircraft Seen In Portugal As Trump Expands Regional Presence Amid Iran Tensions

1 hour ago

Last Updated:February 21, 2026, 23:29 IST

Several US military aircraft were seen at the Lajes Air Base in Portugal as Washington expands its regional presence amid escalating tensions with Iran.

US military planes on the tarmac of Lajes air base. (Reuters)

US military planes on the tarmac of Lajes air base. (Reuters)

US military aircraft appeared on the tarmac of the Lajes Air Base in Portugal as Washington ramps up regional presence amid escalating tensions with Iran. The sightings came after US President Donald Trump signalled a possible limited strike on Iran to pressure it into making a deal on its nuclear programme.

As per local media reports, Portuguese President Marcelo Rebelo Sousa acknowledged that the Portuguese government is monitoring “closely and with full knowledge of the facts" the use of Lajes Air Base in Terceira, Azores, by the United States.

“The Minister of State and Foreign Affairs [Paulo Rangel] informed me a week ago of the possibility that Lajes Air Base could be used under the terms of the existing agreement between Portugal and the United States of America," he said on Friday.

On Wednesday, the Air Base saw 11 KC-46A Pegasus aerial refuelling tankers, 12 F-16 Viper fighter jets and one C-17 Globemaster III tactical airlift aircraft capable of rapid, worldwide delivery of troops and cargo. The Pentagon said, “US European Command routinely hosts transient US military aircraft and personnel in accordance with access, basing, and overflight agreements with allies and partners."

Military analysts drew parallels with the US military’s Operation Midnight Hammer, during which Lajes served as the critical refuelling hub for the B-2 Spirit stealth bombers that carried out airstrikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities last June.

ALSO READ: Trump Presented Plan To Kill Iran’s Supreme Leader Khamenei, Son In Targeted Strike: Report

Massive Military Buildup Near Iran

Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he seeks to block Iran from building a nuclear bomb. Several reports suggested that the US military would be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend.

The US has deployed more than 120 aircraft, including F-22 Raptors, F-16 “Viper" fighter jets and F-35A Lightning IIs. The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Gerald R Ford also arrived at the Mediterranean via the Strait of Gibraltar.

The USS Gerald R Ford will join the Abraham Lincoln carrier, which includes F-35C stealth jets, F/A-18 Super Hornets and electronic warfare aircraft. To support the Navy and the Air Force, the US has also deployed advanced Patriot and THAAD air-defence batteries to the region.

Trump’s Warning To Iran

Trump had earlier given Iran a 10 to 15-day deadline to make a deal on its nuclear programme or “bad things will happen." A report by The Wall Street Journal said he was considering authorising a limited military strike on Iran to pressure Tehran into agreeing to his terms for a nuclear deal.

The aim would be to compel Iran to halt its nuclear enrichment activities while avoiding an immediate escalation into a wider conflict that could trigger major retaliation. The report said such a strike could take place within days if Trump gives approval.

However, if Tehran refuses to comply, the United States could expand its response into a broader military campaign targeting infrastructure linked to the Iranian government. Such an escalation could include efforts aimed at destabilising or potentially toppling the leadership in Tehran, the report said.

Iran has warned it would retaliate if attacked. In a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Tehran said all bases, facilities and assets of any hostile force in the region would be treated as legitimate targets. It added that the United States would bear “full and direct responsibility" for any “unpredictable and uncontrollable consequences".

The core demand from the US is no uranium enrichment on Iranian soil. Iran, for its part, says it must keep its nuclear capability and refuses to discuss its ballistic missiles. It denies planning to build a nuclear weapons arsenal.

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

Location :

United States of America (USA)

First Published:

February 21, 2026, 23:29 IST

News world US Military Aircraft Seen In Portugal As Trump Expands Regional Presence Amid Iran Tensions

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Full Article at Source