Last Updated:February 19, 2026, 07:39 IST
The White House has been briefed that the military could be ready for an attack by the weekend.

US President Donald Trump. (Image: AFP)
The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend; however, President Donald Trump is yet to take a final decision whether he’ll authorise such actions, sources familiar with the matter informed CNN.
According to reports, the White House has been briefed that the military could be ready for an attack by the weekend. The development is coming after a significant military build-up was witnessed in recent days of air and naval assets in the Middle East.
While it is being reported that the US is preparing to strike Iran as early as this weekend, CNN reported that one source has cautioned that Trump has privately argued both for and against the military action. Additionally, he has also polled the advisers and allies on what the best course of action can be taken.
“He is spending a lot of time thinking about this," the source said.
On Wednesday, it was reported that the United States and Israel could be on the brink of a major military operation against Iran that might begin “very soon". Sources, cited by Axios, said the plan would be far larger in scope than last year’s 12‑day conflict and could last for weeks if it goes ahead.
Trump has repeatedly emphasised the importance of confronting Iran’s nuclear ambitions. In recent days, discussions with allies and advisers have underscored the potential for a military option if negotiations fail to achieve meaningful concessions from Tehran.
Will US Attack Iran?
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt on Wednesday said that Iran was expected to provide more details on its negotiating position “in the next couple of weeks," but she wouldn’t say whether Trump would hold off on military action within that timespan.
“I’m not going to set deadlines on behalf of the president of the United States," Leavitt said, adding that diplomacy is always the President’s first option as military action remains on the table.
“There are many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran," she said, adding Trump was relying on counsel from his national security team “first and foremost."
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is expected to travel to Israel on February 28 to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and update him on the Iran talks, a State Department official told CNN.
Meanwhile, it is being speculated that there are 90 percent chances of strikes on Iran. However, Trump can’t proceed without Congress.
Several US representatives have also stood in his support and said that Congress must vote on war according to our Constitution.
Taking to X, representative Thomas Massie wrote, “Ro Khanna and I will be forcing that vote to happen in the House as soon as possible. I will vote to put America first which means voting against more war in the Middle East."
Trump Warns UK
Meanwhile, Trump on Wednesday warned Britain against “giving away" the strategic Diego Garcia military base, saying the facility would be crucial if Washington moves ahead with possible strikes on Iran.
In a lengthy post on Truth Social, Trump said he had been pressing UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer not to hand over sovereignty of the Chagos Islands to Mauritius, warning that a long-term lease arrangement over the strategic Diego Garcia air base would be a big mistake.
Additionally, Trump has said that if Iran doesn’t make a deal, the US may have to use its military bases located on Diego Garcia and the UK, and warns that an attack from Iran “would potentially be made on the UK, as well as other friendly Countries."
“Should Iran decide not to make a Deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous Regime — An attack that would potentially be made on the United Kingdom, as well as other friendly Countries," Trump wrote on Truth Social.
“Prime Minister Starmer should not lose control, for any reason, of Diego Garcia, by entering a tenuous, at best, 100 Year Lease," he added.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
United States of America (USA)
First Published:
February 19, 2026, 07:39 IST
News world US Military Prepared To Strike Iran This Weekend, Trump To Take Final Call: Report
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

1 hour ago
