Last Updated:February 17, 2026, 16:30 IST
Ayatollah Khamenei warned Trump that the US military could be hit hard, as US and Iran started indirect nuclear talks in Geneva amid rising tensions.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and US President Donald Trump. (IMAGE: REUTERS)
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Tuesday dared US President Donald Trump to destroy Iran and said the ‘strongest military force in the world’ could be struck “so hard that it cannot get up again". This comes as the US and Iran started their indirect talks in Geneva over the nuclear dispute.
In a series of posts on X, Khamenei said: “The US President keeps saying that they have the strongest military force in the world. The strongest military force in the world may at times be struck so hard that it cannot get up again."
“The Americans constantly say that they’ve sent a warship toward Iran. Of course, a warship is a dangerous piece of military hardware. However, more dangerous than that warship is the weapon that can send that warship to the bottom of the sea," he further said.
“The US President has said that for 47 years, the United States hasn’t been able to eliminate the Islamic Republic. That is a good confession. I say, ‘You, too, will not be able to do this’," he added.
The remarks came a day after US President Donald Trump said he would be involved “indirectly" in Tuesday’s high-stakes nuclear talks. He suggested that Tehran had learned from past confrontations and may now be more inclined to negotiate.
“I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal," Trump said, recalling that the US had previously carried out strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities. “We could have had a deal instead of sending the B-2s in to knock out their nuclear potential. And we had to send the B-2s. I hope they’re going to be more reasonable."
The US has deployed a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East, and officials have indicated that the military is preparing for the possibility of a sustained campaign if diplomacy fails. Before the June strikes, talks had stalled over Washington’s demand that Iran forgo uranium enrichment on its soil, which the US views as a potential pathway to developing a nuclear weapon.
Iran, however, has maintained that it will not accept zero enrichment and is willing to discuss only curbs on its nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief. Foreign Minister Abbas Araqhchi said he was in Geneva to “achieve a fair and equitable deal," adding, “What is not on the table: submission before threats." Tehran has also rejected expanding negotiations to include its missile programme.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
First Published:
February 17, 2026, 16:30 IST
News world 'You Won't Be Able To Eliminate Iran': Khamenei's Challenge To Trump Amid High Tensions
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More

1 hour ago
